Monday, August 18, 2008

Reflections from Diana Baker

When asked how my trip to Kosovo was, the words I always say are “amazing’ or “perfect” but that never actually begins to cover it. There are so many emotions and feelings when I think of Kosovo and our time there. Like the time when my roommate, Marina and I had to switch homes and we didn’t want to go because we loved Lum’s family, but we knew we had the chance to be with another family and bond with them. Or the time when Tom, Marina, and I sat together on the flight to Vienna and Tom went into our faces at 4 in the morning and said, “I’m bored.” Or the time when all the kids walked up the hill just to be together. The times when we all leaned on each other because we were sick, tired, sad, bored, or just plain cranky. Or the times when we were just having fun and forgot we were in a different country, away from our family, friends, and things that are familiar to us and we could just let it all go. That’s the real Kosovo and the one that I love for the people, the food, the culture, the friends and the way you look at things.

The people of Kosovo taught me many things but the most important are the things that I will always say and hopefully never change are that: “The impossible is merely possibly possible,” and, “Just because you have nothing doesn’t mean you have nothing.”

That’s Kosovo, or at least my Kosovo.